Fairfax United Methodist Church seeks a talented, highly qualified individual to lead our vibrant, growing music ministry, which currently includes:
· One weekly worship service (9:30 a.m. Sunday)
· 30-person adult choir
· Volunteer-led adult and youth handbell choirs
· Excellent multi-year relationship with George Mason University Music Department
· 3-manual, 42-rank pipe organ built by Zimmer and Sons with pipe work by Laukaff of Germany, 2 Kawai grand pianos, Sabathil & Son harpsichord, 3 Adams timpani, Schlumeric handbells, Malmark handchimes, multiple upright pianos and electronic keyboards, djembe, and an extensive library of choral and instrumental music
Duties and Responsibilities:
· Lead, maintain, and grow Fairfax UMC’s vibrant music ministry to the glory of God. Consult with the pastoral staff and the Worship Pillar on all matters related to music at the church.
· Work with the Senior Pastor to plan and lead music for all worship services, including prelude/postlude, congregational hymns, and offertory.
· Supervise the part-time Organist, working with the Organist to plan and coordinate music leadership for all worship services, rehearsals, and special services (weddings, funerals, Christmas Eve, Maundy Thursday, Good Friday, Easter).
· Lead the adult choir in rehearsal and in Sunday morning worship.
· Plan and oversee the music budget and library, including ordering music and managing upkeep/maintenance of the church’s instruments.
· Plan and execute new ways to involve children and youth in the church’s music ministry.
· Oversee, coordinate, and support music ministry volunteers and the church’s relationship with George Mason University’s Music Department, and build relationships with other area performing arts organizations and professionals.
· Participate in weekly church staff meetings, and collaborate with other staff members to fulfill Fairfax UMC’s mission to Love, Build, Connect, and Serve.
· Bachelor’s degree in a music discipline
· Previous leadership of a church music ministry
· Demonstrated ability to play the pipe organ and piano
· Demonstrated ability to direct choirs and individual musicians
· Demonstrated experience and ability playing in a worship setting
· Understanding of how music contributes to the flow and meaning of worship
· Exhibit a commitment to the Christian faith
· Organizational skills, good interpersonal relationships, and be a team player
· Keyboard expertise on piano and pipe organ
· Knowledge of the traditional music literature and United Methodist hymns· Comfort working with children, youth, and adults
$27000 - $35000 Per YearJob Category:
Director of MusicPosition Type:
2 - 5 yearsEducation: